Gifted Highly Capable Program
Welcome to Newport's Program for Highly Capable Students
Newport School District’s highly capable program is intended for children in grades K-12 who show evidence of high performance capabilities and who require services or activities not ordinarily provided by the school.
It is the stated philosophy of the Newport School District that all students have the right to achieve their full potential. Both the professional and support staff are committed to an educational program that recognizes the special strengths of the individual student. Education for highly capable students requires an understanding that their differences are both real and legitimate. Providing programs and materials for highly capable students has been an integral part of our commitment. Newport's program serves identified students in grades K-12.Highly capable students generally possess the following characteristics:
- Capacity to learn with unusual depth of understanding, to retain what has been learned, and to transfer learning to new situations;
- Capacity and willingness to deal with increasing levels of abstraction and complexity earlier than their chronological peers;
- Ability to make unusual connections among ideas and concepts;
- Ability to learn very quickly in their area(s) of intellectual strength;
- Capacity for intense concentration and/or focus in their area(s) of interest.
Anyone may nominate a student to be assessed for the program; simply contact the Highly Capable Teacher, Mrs. Bonita Wilkinson, firstname.lastname@example.org, (509) 447-3167 x 6004. Inquiries regarding the assessment process, exit procedures, appeal process and program options should also be directed to Mrs. Wilkinson.