McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act
The Homeless Information Page is designed to help identify homeless students within the Newport School District. The reauthorized McKinney-Vento Act requires school districts to have processes in place to ensure educational access and success for students experiencing homelessness.
The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act guarantees students the right to:
- Stay in the school they last attended when permanently housed or last school enrolled. Students are allowed to stay in this school through the remainder of the school year.
- Immediately enroll, attend classes and participate fully in school activities in the area where they are living - even when lacking proof of residency, immunization, medical or school records, or other documents usually required by schools.
- Have transportation to their "school of origin" provided or arranged by the school district.
- Access all school services including free school meals, Special Education and Title I services, Vocational and Technical classes, Gifted and Talented services and after school programs provided by the District.
- Enroll in their school of choice and have disagreements in school choice settled quickly, staying in their school of choice until the disagreement is settled.
- Meet the high academic achievement standards expected of all students.