Statement of Understanding
Home-based instruction and enrollment in an Alternative Learning Experience (ALE) are different educational models.
Home-based instruction includes the following:
- Instruction is developed and supervised by the parent or guardian as authorized under RCW 28A200 and 225.010.
- The parent has filed an annual Declaration of Intent with the district.
- Students are neither enrolled nor eligible for graduation through a public high school unless they meet all district and state graduation requirements.
- Students are not subject to the rules and regulations governing public school, including course, graduation, and assessment requirements.
- The public school is under no obligation to provide instruction or instructional materials, or to supervise the student’s education.
Alternative Learning Experience (ALE) includes the following:
- Is a public education enrollment option authorized under WAC 392-550.
- Subject to all state and federal rules and regulations governing public education,.
- Curriculum and instructional materials meet district standards and are free from sectarian control or influence.
- Learning experiences are:
- Supervised, monitored, assessed, and evaluated by a certificated teacher.
- May be planned in collaboration with the student, parent and teacher.
- Provided via a Written Learning Plan (WSLP).
- Provided in whole, or part, outside the regular classroom.